Friday, July 23, 2010

Interview with Laurie Faria Stolarz


Hey everyone,

Today we have an interview with the lovely Laurie Faria Stolarz, author of the BLUE IS FOR NIGHTMARES Series, and the TOUCH Series. Be on the lookout for the third book DEADLY LITTLE GAMES coming out!


1.You've had much success with your first novel, BLUE IS FOR NIGHTMARES. How does all this success make you feel?

I feel so lucky to be able to do what I love for work. I’m so grateful, and it’s surreal to think of all the people who’ve read my work.


2. How did you come up with the concept for your new series, The TOUCH series?

I wanted to write a story where the main character has to struggle with the idea of falling in love with someone who could potentially be dangerous. I tinkered with this concept in the first three books of my Blue is for Nightmares Series [(Blue is for Nightmares (Llewellyn 2003), White is for Magic (Llewellyn 2004), and Silver is for Secrets (Llewellyn 2005), as well as in Bleed (Hyperion 2006)]. In Bleed, in particular, there’s a young male character who was convicted for the murder of his girlfriend. His next relationship consists of pen pal letters he exchanges with a young girl while he’s in prison. Without giving too much away, the relationship is briefly pursued once he is released, but I wanted to bring this concept to another level.

Additionally, I wanted to continue experimenting with the supernatural (which I also use in my Blue is for Nightmares Series as well as in Project 17), showing how we all have our own inner senses and intuition, and how with work we can tap into those senses and make them stronger.

I started researching different types of supernatural powers and discovered the power of psychometry (the ability to sense things through touch). The concept fascinated me, and so I wanted to bring it out in a character, showing how sometimes even the most extraordinary powers can also be a curse.

Lastly, I wanted to apply these concepts to be part of a series. I love the idea of growing a main character over the course of several books.

3. If you could be anywhere in the world right now, where would it be?

I’d love big cities. I Paris and New York City so much! I’d love to be at a little cafĂ© near the Luxembourg Gardens right now, drinking coffee and watching people go by.

4. Publishing is hard. How was your experience in publishing BLUE IS FOR NIGHTMARES and then your other novels.

My initial path to publication was a rough one. I approached editors and agents at the same time, trying to target those who worked with writers like me (namely, writers who wrote in the young adult supernatural genre). It took me a long time to sell my first novel. I have a folder filled with rejection letters – over a hundred. My favorite one is from an editor who said: “While this is an interesting project, I do not feel it is strong enough to compete in today’s competitive young adult market.” That same young adult novel, BLUE IS FOR NIGHTMARES, has sold over 200,000 copies, has been translated into numerous different languages, and has appeared on many different award lists, not to mention it’s been optioned for film. When I speak to young people and aspiring writers, I always tell them this story, that if I had stopped persevering, after I received my first – or my 40th rejection letter – I may never have been able to enjoy the success of my series. After I sold my first novel, things got easier, so I’m always telling people to persevere.

5. What's your favorite hobby?

I love yoga, healthy-cooking, dancing, long walks, decorating, and spending time with friends.

6. Will there be more of the TOUCH series? Are you going to start anything new after it?

There are five books in the series planned. I’m currently working on DEADLY LITTLE VOICES, the fourth book. I’m also working on the third book in The Amanda Project (theamandaproject.com).


Thanks so much for this great interview Laurie!

Ana

No comments:

Post a Comment