Monday, July 19, 2010

Andrea Cremer Interview


Today I have the wonderful Andrea Cremer for an interview. Andrea is the author of NIGHTSHADE which is coming out October 19, 2010!


1. Did you always want to be a writer?


Yes! I have always wanted to be a writer, but I didn’t give myself permission to try writing full-time until I was in a horseback riding accident two years ago. I ended up with a broken foot and couldn’t do anything all summer. Since I was stuck on the couch 24/7 I decided it was now or never in terms of giving writing a novel a real shot. Once I started writing I was hooked and there was no going back.

2. Is NIGHTSHADE your first novel? How difficult was the writing process for it?


NIGHTSHADE is my first novel. The hardest part of writing is when I get impatient with myself and don’t let the story unfold the way it needs to. I write very quickly and I get frustrated if I think something is taking longer than it should. But I’ve found that it’s a mistake if I ever try to force myself through a difficult scene. I have to let the story take its time.


3. Describe NIGHTSHADE in a sentence.

Nightshade is a seductive, coming-of-age tale, focusing on Calla’s struggle between loyalty and passion as she uncovers dangerous secrets involving powerful witches and wolves-of-the-magical-sort.

4. Publishing is a hard business. How was your publishing experience? Easy or hard?

I’ve been really, really fortunate in my publishing experience. I have brilliant agents and a wonderful publisher and editor – they all feel like one big family now. The hardest part of getting my novel to publication was how scared I was to put it out there – it felt like sending my heart out into the world to be stomped on. I was lucky enough to land in good hands and have had an amazing time!

5. How does it feel to be an author? Do you have another job besides writing?

To be honest I often have a hard time believing I'm an author - it really is a dream come true for me. I still have another job. I have a Ph.D. in history and I’m a professor at Macalester College in St. Paul, Minnesota. I’m juggling writing, research, and teaching so my life is very busy. The hardest job I ever had was being a teaching assistant in graduate school because I was making very little money while racking up loans, learning how to teach, and taking Ph.D. coursework at the same time.

6. If you could travel to one place in the world, what would it be and why?

The answer changes daily - usually it's Italy because I love Italy and would jump at the chance to go there. But at the moment I'm really missing New York and so if I could be in Manhattan right now I would. Otherwise I'd head to LA because my brother lives there and I'm missing him too!





Thank you so much for the interview!

-Ana

No comments:

Post a Comment