Friday, September 10, 2010

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher


Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker–his classmate and crush–who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he'll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay's dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.




Wow! This book was very powerful. I had never read anything like it and never could I have imagined how much this book leaves in you. Asher makes you feel for Hannah. She had suffered so much that while reading, I kept wondering to myself how come no one helped her? And even though Clay wanted to help out, he couldn't. Maybe he could, but he never did.


The characters were so well developed, I felt all their pain and while reading the book, I pictured it in my mind. Hannah kept on trying to be nice to everyone, but no one listened. She was ignored and one little rumor can ruin your life. In Hannah's case, it ended hers. I felt myself tearing up during parts of the book, especially the ending.


The writing was powerful and any book that makes me cry, I know it has my attention. I loved how Asher involved the cassessttes of Hannah talking. Not only did I get a feel of Hannah's side, but also how Clay felt.


I love the cover. It's the perfect picture to descibe the book. The blond haired girl sitting on the swing looking all sad and as though she's thinking, reminds me of Hannah.


Overall, I enjoyed this book. It grabs your attention and it takes you on a very emotional ride and a difficult subject. Asher did a good job showing this.


♥♥♥♥



-Ana

No comments:

Post a Comment